Sunday 25 October 2009

Swim Week 6 and still playing catch up.


So... where were we? Well, by the end of week five, I'd made up a fair amount of my ongoing defecit... I got up to 550 lengths after four good swims.

Week 6 began and things slowed down to a halt. I didn't swim at all earlier in the week for reasons I'd rather not share with the whole of the world wide web. Oh ok, what the heck: I had a lot of flea bites about my person, which I acquired last weekend. They are not pleasing on the eye and I didn't fancy looking like a lepper in the pool. The fleas made me very unhappy.

However, the bites were looking and feeling less firey by Friday and I was learning to deal with the shame attached to my getting nibbled. I could wait weeks till the marks are gone entirely and that would have left the challenge completely up the swanny...

Hmmm: It was time to catch up with things. AGAIN...

Well, I've not caught up entirely, but I did swim 40 lengths at Friday lunch time and 60 today at the Virgin pool near my Mum and Dad's house in Bromley. It is nice there - it has natural daylight, which really makes a change from the darkened underground facilities at Islington. Islington is a lovely pool, but the beach picture that you swim towards doesn't compare to a real sky.

By this point I should be at least half way across the channel, but I'm crawling along a bit, finding the biggest challenge getting to the pool at all, rather than what happens once I'm there. So there we have it: six weeks in (half way) and to date, I've managed 650 lengths, which for the mathematicians amidst you is 58 lengths short of halfway from my ultimate goal of 1416 lengths.

For the record, I'm fed up with this challenge. I'm fed up of finding the time to swim. I'm fed up with lagging behind and never quite managing to catch myself up to where I should be. There I said it. I'M FED UP. But... I said I'd do the bl**dy thing and however hateful it gets, I will keep plugging away. I'd be a lot more fed up with myself for not finishing and although I've not noticed any particular physical improvements, it must be doing me some good!

If you haven't done so already - why not sign away some cash here... No pressure ;)

Oh and no need to worry about those fleas. I treated the kitties on Monday and no I've had no new bites since then. PHEW. A complete infestation could have turned out really nasty. Keeping kitties isn't all glamour and giggles! Nor it would seem, is swimming the channel even when it is done over a long time period and in the comfort of a health club pool. x

No comments:

Post a Comment